For Providers

Basic Requirements for Clinical Treatment Providers


Organizations will be licensed by the State of Michigan or under Tribal Codes for the services they are providing.

Individual counselors will be certified, licensed and/or registered in their specialty. Substance abuse counselors must meet Tribal, Indian Health Services, Michigan or the IC&RC certifications standards. Appropriate certifications include CADC-I, CADC-II, CADC-III from UMICAD ( or the    CAC-M, CAC-R, or CAAC from MCBAP ( For other specialties, the appropriate Tribal or Michigan standards will apply.

If an individual counselor has less than one year of experience working with Native American clients, he/she must provide documentation of at least six hours of cultural competence training dealing specifically with Michigan tribal history and culture. This documentation must be submitted to ITC within 60 days of becoming an approved provider.